Site Network: del.icio.us | Technorati |

 

I know the pieces fit 'cause I watched them fall away and I've done the math enuf to know the danger's of a second guessing.


Gmail has started crying

Coupla months ago I had expressed concerns about certain features Google has implemented in Gmail . One of them was - the way it clubs all the emails, having the same Subject, together. At one point I had like 16 emails clubbed together.
It was then that we decided to take it to another level. By we I mean 'Yours truly' and a friend of 'your's truly'. It was un-intentional in the sense that it started off as a regular hi hello email which then went on and on and on and on. Decided to stress their servers and/or to find out its breakpoint.
Today, I could see the effect, when we celebrated Golden Jubilee. Yeah thats right freaking 50 emails all clubbed together in one Click ('cause thats how they have implemented it). Sounds funny but come to think of it - its not just a one liner or a two liner for that matter. All of them are like 2 pages (if not less) long.
What's the outcome? Well, I could pretty clearly see that 'The time it took to open up an email varied from coupla seconds to somewhere like 30 seconds now-a-days'. And thanks to the autosave feature that they have enabled, it tries to save those 50 odd emails every now-and-then making the window inactive and causing a 10 second delay for the text to appear on the screen while typing.
I'm sure they (Google) would have done a stress/performance test on their servers but am not sure if this particular test case has been executed :P
A trace route to gmail.com shows me 19 hops. Well 19 hops is allright I guess but the later hops are having like 90 ms responses which is a bit high aint it ? Anyways will keep on pounding them emails and I hope wont have to wait like more than couple of minutes to open them up one fine day :D
Archived in: Google Gmail Stress Performance Hops 50 19 email

Posted by Rajesh @ 9:04 PM; PERMALINK,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Shouts:

At August 24, 2006 12:36 PM, Blogger ammu said...

50 emails eh?
The longest thread I had was 99 emails. Gmail broke it down automatically though...70 and 29 I think it was.

Wonder what'll happen for 100! heh!

But i agree with ya....too slow to load ...but i love it anyways ;)

 
At August 24, 2006 8:43 PM, Blogger Rajesh said...

@ amrita - Geez 99 :O. Yeah its pretty slow at the 50 mark, dunno if its gonna reach 100 though. Lemme see probably can get myself into the Guinness book someday - lol

 
At August 28, 2006 5:40 PM, Blogger Mosilager said...

hey your main site has been inaccessible for me for a few days... also the pluto post

 
At August 28, 2006 5:44 PM, Blogger Rajesh said...

@ Mosilager - I know dude. Sorry about that .. all this happened after I updated to the BETA version of Blogspot. Have sent an email to them dunno when would they respond :( :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home