Site Network: del.icio.us | Technorati |

 

I know the pieces fit 'cause I watched them fall away and I've done the math enuf to know the danger's of a second guessing.


Post for 15th August 2006

Happy Independence Day fellow Indians !!
Although I am not sure if it carries weight just mentioning it out here. I mean why should I be happy? I belive one of the reasons, I should be is because we were able to get rid of the Brits ~ 60 years ago. But that was then and right now I dont feel like what "I" should be happy about.
Celebrations in this part of the world is a bare minimum. School/College days there used to be an Indian Students Association celebrating all kinds of events and organizing parties on the 15th. All I could figure is that it was just a show. I Know a few chaps who are confused on the dates , 15th Aug OR 26th Jan. Are they any different from me? I guess no. Just knowing the dates and some other facts doesnt give me the right to be Happy about it.
Its just my perception and I'm sure it will vary. But for one, I haven't contributed anything till date that would make me proud or help me get over this guilt feeling that this day or the 26th of Jan is just "going through the motions". The max I have done is contribute something to UNICEF for Tsunami relief which no way reflects what I should be doing.
Back In India - school days, quite happy that we got a day off and sit home do nothing. Earlier, I remember I used to have great enthu to get up and listen to the speech at Red Fort but then that died soon as education took over. Thought of getting educated and contribute to the country. Instead ended up getting education from there and landing here to work and contribute towards the economy out here.
Back home I guess I know how most of the celebration would be. People in Metros would be afraid first of all to get out of their home and attend government organised functions thanks to those miscreants. So sit home and watch some Movie instead. TV Channels make merry by airing Bhagat Singh Movie or something else. Mahatma Gandhi movies used to be shown when I was in high school. But gone are those days. As if we were to take inspiration from them. Each year the same tape again and again ? Thats too much of inspiration to gather from a single person.
Yet I never learnt anything. I cannot go on fasting for a day, forget about a week or a month. If asked I would not like to go and fight a battle for India. But then not all people are meant to be in the Army. What's srange is that the feeling itself is dying. Frankly speaking if Indian cricket team wins the WCup tomorrow, probably I wouldbe more happy. More happy than saying that "Today my country celebrates its Independence Day".
Actually come to think of it, thats true. The most patriotic I felt was probably when I was in 12th std, it was the last time probably I sang the National Anthem with full enthu. After that comes the Indo-Pak cricket match in the last WC. Patrioism shown to defend the shouting crowd in college.

I think the meaning of Independence is dying day by day (which I guess is expected). But the Irony is that I havent realised the importance itself in the first place and am sure the coming generations would one day stop celebrating it and one fine day it would just become a Shopping Day where premium outlets have a huge SALE board put up to attract customers siting home doing nothing.

Can you guys think of what could be wrong here? Or should we just close this chapter saying that baah ~~ its just one of those topics where we can go on and on? I mean I frankly dont know at this point what to do and how to proceed if at all I want to feel proud about being an Indian. I know that NRIs contribute towards it by donating $$s to educational institutions but then what before that? Can't someone do anything else - something that is possible right now for an average Joe ?

Has this or something similar, filled your thoughts? Maybe not. Sorry to have stretched your imagination and to ignite a compulsary thought process. But let me know, if there's anything that you forsee. Something that would make one feel "not so bad" if not provide a huge relief that would get rid of this guilt.
Archived in: India Independence 15 August 1945 Gandhi Nehru UNICEF

Posted by Rajesh @ 11:38 AM; PERMALINK,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 Shouts:

At August 15, 2006 12:47 PM, Blogger Mosilager said...

If you can find the book "The discovery of India" by Jawaharlal Nehru it might lend some perspective to Independence day. India was an experiment started by the greatest political thinkers of the time, and these nerds stared down the most powerful empire in history until that day - and won.
In my opinion patriotism has more to do with supporting what India stands for - that one billion people can unite and agree to live by the same rules. Coexistance, tolerance, education and improvement of the standard of living of all our people. Somebody who believes in these values is a patriot in my opinion.

 
At August 15, 2006 1:19 PM, Blogger border between sanity and insanity said...

I'm not sure that the feeling of patriotism is dying out though. But I do think that knowing India's history is important to feel it. Otherwise, no one would understand how we got here today. Besides, even though you're here, working, I would think that someday, your dollars in terms of foreign exchange will help boost India's economy too. So in a way, you're still contributing.

 
At August 15, 2006 6:02 PM, Blogger Rajesh said...

@ Mosilager - Although I haven't read the book, I have seen it on the screen "भारत एक खोज" and I agree to what you've got to say.

I am patriotic and I've never had any doubts on that. I admire what we have achieved in the past 60 years after independence and how we are forging ahead. Its just that when it comes to individual contributions - I havent dont much; not that its the only way to show patriotism. I'm happy that we are celebrating 60 years of Independence but the reason to be happy about being an Indian has a long way to go.

@ Video - I say that the feeling is dying 'cause an average Indian probably just considers today as a National Holiday. Its true, knowing the history and the struggle that took place about a century ago is a must to make "it" feel.
I know there's always a time when you start contributing towards the economy back in India. Most of it, if I'm right, would be towards friends or family. Not that it does not contribute towards the growth of the nation, but if you sit back and think what you've contributed towards improvement of education, decreasing poverty, improving infrastructure - it boils down to a small percentage. Now, perceptions may vary, but this is what I was thinking and what prompted this thought process.

Lots can be done but just that the mode is still vague, still unclear. Start off with contri. towards Education maybe ? Lets see ...

 
At August 15, 2006 6:10 PM, Blogger Kavita said...

You are right.. We say we are Indians.. but the implications of being an indian has never touched us. Part of the reason to is that, we as Indians do not look towards India as a land of oppurtunities but towards US with the same outlook...

 
At August 15, 2006 7:11 PM, Blogger Sandesh said...

Hey Rajesh,
I replied to your comment on my blog.

Apart from what I've said there, some more small ways all of us can contribute to India's growth

1) Start a company in India if you have the business abilities and create jobs
2) Try to use merchandise made in India. Initially when I came to US, I hated Made in India tagged stuff. But slowly the realization came in that if I myself don't promote Indian stuff then who will.

 
At August 15, 2006 10:07 PM, Blogger Rajesh said...

@ Kavita - Precisely, I dont know how or why I hadn't thought of it before but suddenly realised it on the eve this year. And here I am trying to find an answer.

@Sandesh - I hear you bro. Thanks for paying a visit and I did see your comments in ur blog.
I guess I might be missing the bigger picture here. Realised that a direct contribution is going to be difficult from a position where I am right now. Hence these small contributions are most welcome. Your points indeed carry "points" and is a way to start off with.

 
At August 19, 2006 12:03 AM, Blogger Sreeram R Warrier said...

Looks like I am the first person from India, in India,to comment on this ;)
What to say more Rajesh, I am also thinking inline with u.
I was thinking of the meaning and worthiness of Celebrating Independence day by sleeping at home and thats what prompted me to type those in my blog!!What I wrote is not against that Patriotic feeling which every person has for his/her country, but I strongly feel that this should not be the way to celebrate the Independence day of a country.I guess, what we lack now is that true feeling of freedom struggle and how much had gone into earning it.
Sometimes i really feel that (compulsary/optional) military service will do only good to this country in this regard.Atleast pple like me wont sleep on that day! :))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home