Site Network: del.icio.us | Technorati |

 

I know the pieces fit 'cause I watched them fall away and I've done the math enuf to know the danger's of a second guessing.


Gmail, Orkut and Donuts

It was a good concept that Google came up with, Gmail. Agreed that its different from other email providers, with all the Stars, Labels, Chat-integration and the Mailbox size that keeps on increasing [2734.1515 MB now]. The one thing that I dont like (wont say hate ... allright ?) is the way it clubs together all my emails with same subject/from the same sender.

I didnt pay an attention until now, login to my account to see a thread as big as 16 emails, then another one - 13, 9,7 etc . Now, I understand what they are trying to do out here but whenever one replies to your email, its automatically threaded so even if you reach 16 or 13, you still can scroll down to see the previous ones. Why then this clubbing business ?? Anyone thought about it ?

Unable to create folders is something that I have learned to live with,by accepting what they call the "Labels" . hmm but this thing... aint that gud !!

Also, Orkut has started the donut business again. Something that I experienced quite a while back here. It is pretty good now-a-days, I remember with the Brazilians pounding the server some time back, it was horrible. Heard that the fever has hit India now. Let see whether the servers can handle the pounding done by our teen population ;-)

Archived in: Google Gmail Orkut Donuts India Brazil Server 13

Posted by Rajesh @ 6:23 PM; PERMALINK,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Shouts:

At June 13, 2006 9:25 PM, Blogger Mosilager said...

i actually like the 'conversations' thingi that they have... started messing with labels and then gave up... anyway i check gmail through thunderbird most of the time so I don't really see the i-whack-face.

 
At June 14, 2006 4:08 AM, Blogger D for Dawn said...

The thread thing is also if you forward the same mail to some other user... :-( is quite irritating i agree.
But one thing i absolutely love is the way it archives the chat sessions. So easy to dig up old chats and prove someone wrong. :D

 
At June 14, 2006 2:06 PM, Blogger Rajesh said...

@ Mosilager - Well it gets cluttered and I am not liking it anymore. The Labels stuff is working kewl but again it took me some time to get over the "Folder" option that wa prevalent before ;)

@ D for dawn - Aite first things first, do I know you frm somewhere? Are you the D that I know :| ..

Oh Yeah, the chat sessions is something that they came up with lately and its kewl. Also you can decide to send a chat message instead of replying to the email if he/she is online :D

 
At June 14, 2006 7:37 PM, Blogger RPM said...

@rajesh: I don't like the thread feature mainly because a lot of times new emails in the thread get 'lost' because the bolded part appears way to the right.

Also, I am folder guy. I use Outlook mainly (not to d/l Gmail yet) and my main goal is always to keep inbox to less than 10 emails. So I am accustomed to an uncluttered inbox whereas Gmail tries to force the exact opposite concept on me, which I just cannot get used to.

Unless I make gmail my default mail client. But that is not possible because I do a lot of offline emailing.

So I will live with gmail as a backup email client and an archival for my emails. :-)

 
At June 14, 2006 8:58 PM, Blogger Rajesh said...

@ Rpm - Absolutely true. In fact I've seen emails clubbed just cause the subject was the same. Atleast they should provide an option to disable the feature. Not necessary that all like it.

I use the folder option too, but at work. Dont use outlook @ home - not yet. But since they offer the so called 'infinite storage', one could very well use it for archival ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home