Site Network: del.icio.us | Technorati |

 

I know the pieces fit 'cause I watched them fall away and I've done the math enuf to know the danger's of a second guessing.


Sleep deprivation

If you ask me, when was the last time I had 8 hours of uninterrupted, peaceful sleep, I'd say dunno; for I don't frankly remember. Like today - I woke up somewhere around 5:00, 5:30 because it was so bright outside. I had a look at my timepiece and realized that its not time to get up. Again at 6 then again at 6:30 - oh man. All because it was bright and sunny outside, I think that the sun showed up somewhere close to 4 am.

There was an article on BBC the other day that said - Do we really need eight hours of sleep? According to the article, researchers and scientists have found the answer to be - 'No'. They say that asking everyone to get 8 hours of sleep is "like saying everybody should have size eight shoes or be five foot eight inches" - gee thanks !!

There goes a golden opportunity, for everyone who wants to get an '8 hour sleep' need not necessarily need 8 hours. I mean, why cant these scientists keep quite. Who are they to decide how much sleep I need? I need atleast 8 hours of sleep and thats it. "In a nutshell, if you sleep for eight hours a night go to work and find yourself lolling and drooling on the keyboard, you aren't getting enough. If you're sleeping five hours and running the country, you probably are getting enough".

What really surprises me are statements like "Women may need more sleep than men due to the structure of their brains." and "sleep disorders are a 24-hour phenomenon with sufferers spending their days stressed and unable to clear their heads at night."

When it comes to thinks concerning sleep, I think its best to ignore the research. If after doing some tests they figure out that I need only 6 hours of sleep, I'm not going to agree to it. No way can I compromise on my sleep. They say that a classic demand of the 19th Century labour movement was "Eight hours labour, Eight hours recreation, Eight hours rest"- how true

Labels: , , , ,

Posted by Rajesh @ 8:22 PM; PERMALINK,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Shouts:

At April 24, 2007 8:22 AM, Blogger ammu said...

Oh my gosh - I cant dream of sleeping 8 hours on any day!! Such is life now ... :S
Damn all the research ....I'd be happy with 6 hours of sleep!!

 
At April 24, 2007 3:11 PM, Blogger Rajesh said...

Hey, but wouldn't it be nice if you get the full quota? I'm sure you'd be happy to get more than 8 hours.

Anyways all this research is crap, I dont agree that anyone out here should be deprived :P

 
At April 24, 2007 4:36 PM, Blogger ammu said...

hear hear! I'm all for the 8+ hours of sleep :)

 
At April 24, 2007 7:17 PM, Blogger Mosilager said...

I'm good with 7. Too much sleep and I get tired and not happy.

 
At April 25, 2007 3:02 PM, Blogger Rajesh said...

@ Amrita - :D

@ mosilager - 8 hrs is not too much yaar. But yeah 10-12 makes me tired too :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home