Site Network: del.icio.us | Technorati |

 

I know the pieces fit 'cause I watched them fall away and I've done the math enuf to know the danger's of a second guessing.


Change Clocks to Help Environment?

I don't have a digital timepiece [thank god], I'd have to wind my analog watch, one hour ahead tonight/tomorrow morning - thanks to the DST which, as you all know, takes place 3 weeks earlier this year.


I've been reading about it and hearing about all the "patch" work going on now-a-days. While some claim that this could turn out to be a mini Y2K problem, I don't believe there should be an issue. Will have to wait 3 more weeks or so and keep an eye on the stats provided by hospitals, the airline industry, business week, IT industry etc... Here are some facts I was able to extract from the net -

Reuters -
  • Softball teams, which gather on playing fields after work, will be able to start their seasons earlier, as will backyard barbecue enthusiasts.
  • Candy manufacturers see brisker sales at Halloween as children will have an extra hour of daylight to go door-to-door begging for sweets during the late-October holiday.
  • Some in law enforcement think evening crime rates could fall.
  • Orthodox Jews, who wait until sunrise to say morning prayers, lobbied against the provision.
  • Airliners complained it would throw their international schedules further out of sync with Europe, costing the industry millions of dollars.
  • The energy savings would translate into a 10.8 million-metric-ton reduction in carbon emissions over the next 13 years. While 10.8 million metric tons of carbon emissions may sound like a lot, it pales in comparison to the 5.9 billion metric tons the United States emitted just in 2004 [DOE].
And here's what doctors suggest you start doing (I should have posted this a week before, but anyways) ...
  • A few days before the time shift, start going to bed a little earlier each night – even 15 minutes earlier for three days can make a difference. In addition, set your alarm clock for 15 minutes earlier. [are you kidding me?]
  • The Monday morning commute the day after DST starts is especially hard, and is associated with a spike in sleepy-driving crashes.
Well, what can I say. I've never felt anything (I mean anything different) whenever this "annoying" stuff happens twice a year. The, so called, Jet lag when you do an Intl. travel is something, I'd say, makes you go crazy for a week or two. That doesn't mean other people won't have problems right ? If you need any info - follow the tips suggested by American Academy of Sleep Medicine.

Hope you have a nice Sat/Sun and be careful while Springing Forward :)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Posted by Rajesh @ 8:02 PM; PERMALINK,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Shouts:

At March 11, 2007 2:51 PM, Blogger ammu said...

I'm with the progam on helping environment and all that....but i am not enjoying the fact that I have to be at work on a Sunday ensuring that my application doesnt die a painful death. UGH!

Anyway - good weather in NYC after a frigid week...so no complaints on that regard.

:-)

 
At March 11, 2007 9:04 PM, Blogger Rajesh said...

@ Amrita - That sucks. I know that few of my colleagues had to work from home but then I heard everything went fine. How was it out there ? :)

About the weather - whoa!! Superb low 40s out here - it was bliss...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home