Site Network: del.icio.us | Technorati |

 

I know the pieces fit 'cause I watched them fall away and I've done the math enuf to know the danger's of a second guessing.


Dont act smart with me

I received this email some days back, it was titled "Corporate Information Security - Password Strength Testing". The content was something like this ... "If you have recieved this message it is due to the fact that your Network Logon ID possesses a password that was easily guessed during IT Security's compliance testing using a password strength testing utility. This utility compares passwords to dictionary works, names, places, etc. in addition to adding numbers to the beginning and/or end of the password. Please change your password to one that is not easily guessed."
I did not give a damn at that point and thought of worrying about it later. Very next day, try to login to my box and I find myself being asked to change my password. It was as if I was being held at gun-point "change your password or you'll drop dead" ...
Already running late at work that day, huffed and puffed my way to work, and now this .. start to a glorious day @ work - I said to myself. Pulled my chair and sat down to change the pwd.- a combination of alphabets and numbers that would allow me login and check my email and mainly 'start working' . Little did I know that it would become my worst nightmare.
15 minutes into it, I was still punching in, trying different combinations ..."too similar to the previous one" "should have atleast xxx characters and may include numbers" "shouldn't start with a number" ... aaaarrrggghhhh, tell you I was going nuts and for the very first time I felt like a noob. The eagerness inside me to beat the machine flourishing all of a sudden from no-where.
After using almost every key on my keyboard I landed upon a combination that succeded. Half the work was done. Now came the tough part of remembering that crap. I read the same email I recd. the day before, it said ...
Things to remember -
... as you say sir ...

Posted by Rajesh @ 10:27 PM; PERMALINK,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Shouts:

At March 16, 2006 8:49 AM, Blogger ammu said...

ouch! that must have sucked.

IT security...cant live with them...cant live without them...

 
At March 16, 2006 9:25 AM, Blogger Ellie said...

That's irritating!I get bugged choosing the 'n' IDs itself...thankfully parents chose to give me a pretty obscure name...:) But faced hell when I wanted my ids to include tweety,choco etc...;-)

Happy Holi to you too!

 
At March 16, 2006 2:25 PM, Blogger Rajesh said...

@ Amrita - its for the good but then there are exceptions and yeah it Sucks. Luckily I still remember the pwd ;-)

@ Ellie - Lol .. I usually try to include numbers etc..but in the end have to submit to the "Logic used"

 
At March 20, 2006 4:04 AM, Blogger RPM said...

@rajesh: there are a few password generator/encrypter programs available in the market today, either free or for a very low price. Just get one of them - in fact, I know a friend who has put all his password on a USB thumb drive (encrypted) and he is all set with that.

 
At March 20, 2006 12:29 PM, Blogger Rajesh said...

@ RPM - Sounds interesting, I had heard of something like that but didnt think of using them yet. Will definitely check it out ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home