Site Network: del.icio.us | Technorati |

 

I know the pieces fit 'cause I watched them fall away and I've done the math enuf to know the danger's of a second guessing.


A quarter for a quarter

It really didn't matter. Last time I checked, USD was stronger than CAD. Last week though, CAD went on to register a 30 year high beating USD ... and then becoming equal to it. As of today, 1USD = 1 CAD (okay its 1.0031 but the decimals are for ppl trading in billions).

Point is that it didn't matter. It took me a while to realize that; couple of weeks to be exact. The story goes something like this -

The place where I used to stay before, we had a washer dryer in the basement and I didn't have to make occasional trips to the bank and fetch quarter rolls. But out here, I do ... and its not always what you think you got (a roll of quarters i.e). So couple of weeks back I made a trip early SAT morning to the nearest bank to fetch some. Intention - do my Laundry over the Weekend.

Sunday evening I tried to do that but the machine simply wouldn't accept my quarters. Thought that the machine-slots would be filled to the brim with coins and ditched the plan. A week later tried the same thing. Again - same thing !! Frustrated, thought of calling the landlord and requesting him to fetch the deposited coins in the machine, so that I could use it.

Came back to my hut and a closer look reveled that one of the coins was a Canadian qtr. No wonder it didn't get pushed through the machine slot. Sigh !! Adulteration?? Oh yeah, happens quite often and anyone could squeeze in one or two Canadian coins in the roll and chances of him/her getting caught are bleak.

So after struggling for 2 consecutive weekends, I said CAD != USD. But guess what, the very next day (or the day after that ... I can't remember) read that CAD is on a 30 year high and that its equal to the USD. Way to go !! Its not just that, the weakening dollar has made many other currencies stronger; some have shattered the records, some would follow suit soon ......


Labels: , , ,

Posted by Rajesh @ 7:56 PM; PERMALINK,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Shouts:

At September 29, 2007 10:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Hyde said...

save em canadian quarters... u might end-up makin more money dat way ;-)

 
At October 01, 2007 7:17 PM, Blogger Rajesh said...

@ parag - yeah .. will have to do that. Am not throwing them away !!

 
At October 02, 2007 11:28 PM, Blogger Mosilager said...

Yeah now I better watch which coins I put into the vending machine, might get into trouble.

 
At October 03, 2007 10:13 PM, Blogger Rajesh said...

@ mosilager - save those CADs :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home